Our privacy commitment to you
The National Electrical and Communications Association (NECA) Victoria is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring the security of your personal information.
NECA maintains all personal information in accordance with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act 1988, which regulate how NECA collects, uses and keeps secure your personal information.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal information includes information or an opinion about an individual that is reasonably identifiable. For example, this may include your name, age, gender, postcode and contact details. It may also include financial information, including your credit card information.
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number and other contact details;
- age or date of birth;
- credit card information;
- The organisation your work for or your position held;
- your device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- details of the and services we have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries (including details of your registration and attendance at NECA functions and events);
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or app or indirectly through your use of our website or app or online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys; or
- any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
In some cases, we may also record home contact details and e-mail addresses where these have been provided. NECA will not retain personal information that it could not have obtained from you or is not contained in a Commonwealth record.
Wherever possible, we will collect personal information directly from you. You may decide to provide your personal information to NECA for and for a range of different reasons and means. By way of example:
- when you complete a membership application
- when you complete an annual return
- when you register to attend events held by NECA
- when you request NECA to undertake services on your behalf
- when you wish to provide services to NECA
- when you enter a competition or promotion being conducted by NECA
- when you email NECA or contact NECA by telephone or mail
- when you engage in NECA Social Media activities
- when you purchase tickets to attend a NECA event
- when you send us documents containing your personal information
- if you become an office holder of NECA or one of its Branches
We may also collect information from other sources such as written material sent to us, and publicly available sources such as newspapers, directories and public registers.
Use of Personal Information
In general, we will only use information that we hold about you for the purposes of performing our function as an industry representative organisation, and in the provision of products and services to you.
The personal information we collect from you may be used in some or all of the following ways:
- to deliver and invoice you for any product purchases or event attendance
- to improve our service and communications
- to attract new members and clients to NECA
- to lobby government agencies and to publicise issues of concern to member organisations
- to comply with a law that requires the furnishing of such information to a Government regulator
- to enable you to access and use our website and services;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our website and services, business and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct market research and for advertising and marketing;
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our business partners that we think you may find interesting;
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, our business partners that we think you may find interesting;
- to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners; and
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties, to cooperate with a law enforcement body or regulatory agency, exercise or defend our legal rights, or disclose your information as evidence in litigation in which we are involved
- to enforce performance of a contract. We may process your personal information when we believe it is necessary to fulfil our contractual obligations to you, including providing our services or at your request prior to entering into a contract with you
- to pursue legitimate interests. We may process your information when we believe it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests and those interests do not outweigh your interests and fundamental rights and freedoms
- In support of vital Interests. We may process your information where we believe it is necessary to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of a third party, such as situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person
We will consider that you consent to any information about NECA products, services and events that we consider may be of interest to you, unless you opt out. You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive marketing information or do not wish to receive marketing information through a particular channel, like email. You can make this request by contacting us via the Contact us section or via the.
The personal information that NECA collects from or about you may also be used for secondary purposes such as assisting NECA to develop products and services suitable to your membership.
What happens if you don’t provide the information requested?
If you choose not to provide the personal information that we ask for, or the information that you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, it may mean that NECA will be prevented from efficiently managing your membership, offering the full range of benefits and services that may be available to you and/or maintaining contact with you.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Generally, we will not provide your personal details to any other person or organisation other than:
- our employees and related bodies corporate;
- payment systems operators (eg. Merchants receiving card payments and direct debit autorities);
- organisations to which you have authorised us to provide your personal details
- service providers such as printers and posting services and organisations involved in the provision and maintenance of our business systems and infrastructure
- organisations to which by law we may be required or authorised to provide your personal details,
- external agencies providing services for the purpose of data matching, cleansing or enrichment
- external agencies engaged to survey the membership on behalf of, or at the request of NECA
- our auditors and other professional advisers, dealers and agents
- our representatives, such as our legal advisers or credit check agencies
- organisations engaged by, in partnership with or other service providers of NECA for the purpose of establishing or administering services and promotions to NECA members and prospective members, such as Insurance or other services provided by NECA
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law
We may use and may disclose your personal information to third parties (located onshore or overseas) for the purposes it was collected, or for a related or ancillary purpose in connection with the performance of our business activities or operation of our business functions including but not limited to:
- NECA's related entities;
- Clients who may wish to engage your services as a contractor or temporary employee;
- Our vendors, consultant, suppliers, contracted service providers or partners, including (but not limited to) organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests, payroll processing or other employment related services;
- Any government authority;
- Any law enforcement body, including the police; and
- Any educational or vocational organisations to the extent necessary to verify your qualifications
Where your personal information is disclosed to service providers and other organisations, NECA will seek to ensure that your personal information is handled in accordance with privacy laws and is not disclosed for any purpose other than those to which you have consented (unless required or authorised by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal order).
We are part of a national industry body who at times engages service providers from countries. From time to time, it is likely that we may need to transfer your data overseas in connection with our provision of services. We may share your data with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents ('third parties') who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work. While most of the personal information we collect about you is retained in country in which it was collected , there are circumstances where we provide personal information to overseas recipients. We have contracts in place with our third parties, which are designed to help safeguard your personal information. This means they will take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient will deal with such personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles. The categories of third parties we may share personal information with are as follows:
- Cloud Computing Services
- Communication & Collaboration Tools
- Data Analytics Services
- Data Storage Service Providers
- Performance Monitoring Tools
- User Account Registration & Authentication Services
- Website Hosting Service Providers
- Finance & Accounting Tools
- Contracted Service Providers
The country or countries to which your data may be transferred is not restricted, and may include: Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, China, Pakistan, Philippines, countries in the EU or other countries from time to time. These countries may not necessarily have data protection laws or other similar laws as comprehensive as those in your country. However, we will take all necessary measures to protect your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and applicable law.
Use of mail house
NECA may use mail houses to send you magazines, newsletters and/or information about third party products and services. When this occurs, a non-disclosure agreement is signed by the mail house to ensure that your personal information is not disclosed to any other party and remains under the control of NECA.
Opting out of receiving this additional information
If you do not want to receive marketing material from NECA, you can by contacting NECA Victoria via email at [email protected] or use the Unsubscribe function on electronic communications.
If you purchase a product or service using a credit card, your credit card information is used to process the payment. Credit card details are not stored and our database only records that you purchased a product or service and how much you paid for it. We will protect the security of your credit card details when processing your payment.
Storage and Security of Personal Information
NECA will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from loss, unauthorised access, and misuse, including by means of physical and electronic security measures. Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents, or electronically on our software or systems. If you suspect any misuse, loss or unauthorised access please contact us via the Contact Us page.
We have implemented appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorised third parties will not be able to defeat our security and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our services is at your own risk. You should only access the services within a secure environment.
Use of our website
When you access our website, we gather information about users collectively. Such information includes the areas that users visit most frequently, and the services users access the most. We will only use such data anonymously and in aggregate. By doing so, we can optimise the services it provides to you.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the services. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our services, and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our services, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
Access to your personal information
You have the right to know what personal information NECA holds about you and to obtain access to it if required.
To access personal information that we hold about you please contact NECA Vic via email at [email protected]. You may need to provide proof of your identity before access is provided. We will respond to your request for access within a reasonable timeframe. If we refuse to give you access to any of your personal information, we will provide you with reasons for the refusal. You can contact us if you would like to challenge our decision to refuse access.
Updating your personal information
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. You can update your personal information anytime via our secure Member Access online facility or you have the right to request that NECA take reasonable steps to correct any personal information that you believe is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading having regard to the purpose for which it is being held. You may need to provide proof of your identity before access is provided.
You can also contact us in writing at the address provided below (see Contact us section below).
Our Online Services
If you log into your Membership portal, NECA will collect personal information from you including your name, contact details and changes to your account such as a change in address, purchase of products and services. We can only collect personal information via our website with your consent, as you must log in and/or click on a ‘submit’ button provided on each transaction before any information is recorded.
You can only access the member portal facility with your username and password. You should keep your password secure and change it periodically. You should also ensure that you log off once you have finished accessing the member portal to ensure that no one else can access your personal information.
There are security risks associated with transmitting your personal information via the internet. You should assess these potential risks before deciding whether or not to use NECA’s online services. If you would prefer not to transmit your personal information via the internet, you can provide it to NECA by mail or telephone.
Use of your email address
It is our policy to record and use your email address to communicate with you about the activities of NECA, including but not limited to events, industry , member benefits, member services and member promotions. If you do not wish to receive information from NECA via email you can unsubscribe at any point by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
Your email address will only be used by NECA for the purposes identified above and it will not be added to a general mailing list.
Feedback submitted to NECA
Our websites have several areas on the site where you can submit feedback. We may use this feedback for marketing purposes, or to contact you for further feedback.
Questions and complaints
1300 300 031
Address: Level 12, 222 Kings Way, South Melbourne VIC 3205
If we receive a privacy complaint it will be treated seriously and dealt with promptly, in a confidential manner, and in accordance with NECA internal complaints handling procedures.
In the event that your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) using the online Privacy Complaints Form, which can be accessed via the OAIC’s website at //www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/making-a-privacy-complaint. The OAIC can also receive complaints via mail, fax or email using the details provided below. If you need help lodging a complaint, you can call the OAIC enquiries line on 1300 363 992.